Monday, December 13, 2010

pleased


Feeling oh-so-pleased with myself because I've finished making and writing the christmas cards. Also made it from all recycled products, leftover craft materials from past projects (except the white pen).

Been out to town recently to catch up with friends and am appalled at the manners of those from the grandmotherland (Since our mothers did not come from there it can hardly be called 'motherland'....) Was dining at a restaurant eating 'xiaolongbao' and 'zhajiangmein' and a lady rudely shouted across the railings to ask us what we are eating. We were quite taken aback. And I thought such food were like commoners' food in the grandmotherland? She should be familiar with it. So anyway after I replied, still politely, in English of course, she huffed away saying' Oh, so you can't speak the 'national' language (guo yu).' So rude!

I would not be mentioning this if the same thing with another china-accent lady happened! While I was buying some gifts - I put them on the counter first and went off to look at other stuff. When I came back the lady in front of me in the queue was fingering my items... nevermind, I was still okay about that. She just turned to me and also said quite rudely, 'What is this?', holding my stuff! Once again, taken aback. For us we would at least add an excuse me or a shy smile but she talked to me as if I were a lowly creature, in fact, I feel sorry for the SA who have to serve these customers. Anyway I don't know how to explain it in Mandarin and if I spoke English I was sure it would be a waste of my good intentions, so, I just said in my most British accented English, 'Sorry?' and she huffed away and demanded to know what I was buying from the cashier. All in the same week... I really can't believe it. It is a really unpleasant experience to encounter such characters especially when you just want to run your errands and get out of the hullabaloo that is downtown!

I got myself an early christmas present...One thing I love shopping at Tangs is that you can earn points to redeem discounts on items you want to buy. Since I always need to top up my makeup and skincare essentials there and sometimes shoes, it makes sense to get my stuff there. Plus after this haircolor change, I don't seem to suit any of my lipstick shades. So this Chanel lipstick, original price $40... After deducting points its like $10? Such a savvy shopper *pats self on back. The shade is Tasmania and it goes on lightly, such a nice shade, almost coral. More motivated to put on lipstick everyday now. Also bought Tom Robbin's 'Still Life with Woodpecker' at Kinokuniya (hence the necessary trip to downtown.) I'm liking his quotes recently so shall read his works.