Monday, May 09, 2005

The body in the well

After church on saturday went for icecream at this place called ICE3, interesting concept with nice sofas. Had a peanut butter and apple cinnnamon one, thought it was superb. Before that went to my favorite beanbag enclave, they had a new menu and me and Hedgehog just slacked there... he likes lasagna too. Gave me an allium, and the guys were fascinated by it afterwards - I'm still traumatised at the sight of Frankie fingering it and swinging it around.

I'm really impacted and moved by the sharing of life experiences... somehow. Ganesh really opened up to us in the few precious months we have left together before he leaves for 5 years... He's so much like Ches in the way he thinks and speaks, in a way I'm doubly sad for it seems that these kind of people that I need in my life seems to always leave. Known Ganesh for only 3 months, before he goes, sort of the same scenario with Ches, Markos, ... but at least I know he's coming back. Well, 5 years later. So we were talking about new movies and strange occurrences and Ganesh told us about how God protected him and his family, in a sharing that could be scripted straight into a movie of the spooktacular genre, just that it was true. He lived in India with his family and more then 10 years ago they still used deep wells, every family had one. Their house was quite big and they had tenants, too. To their horror, once they discovered that someone had died- drowned in their well; and they had drank the water for about a week without realising it. He said he was really scared as one of their puppies that was really healthy suddenly died a painful and horrible death (due to the water-poisoning), but his family was not unwell at all. The person who died was a tenant, a drunk who was always loitering around, smoking... And when he went missing for a week, people thought he had gone off gallivanting again. It was only when Ganesh's bro went to collect water, he realised he hit something and it was the body. Ganesh said that when they pulled it out, even 10 feet away the stench hits you, right to your stomach and immediately you want to purge. This gruesome tale is one of the ways how he is thankful to God that God has protected them... I think we were listening in real interest and slightly amazed, how different cultures are and how much we share in this faith. He shared too that there were many demon manifestations due to the many gods in India, and the things he saw happening to people, which makes me grateful I'm here, now...

I guess some life experiences, I can never experience or fully understand what the other person has been through and felt. But for what it's worth, I would like to share them, to be encouraged, or to be the one to encourage. In life's difficult moments, people are strengthened through the mutual understanding and comfort of listening. So, don't keep things inside... talk to me?