Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Hello, Goodbye, Goodnight.

"Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow."


-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet.





Ndee sms-ed me today morning, saying that he's going to USA, MA, Cambridge to work. Leaving on the 29th July and back on 2007.

I always say that one by one, my friends leave(here). Perhaps it's true, that I speak into their lives. Maybe Singapore's a more cosmopolitan city than I've imagined. After all, I have always harbored thoughts of leaving, too. Always thought that I'm not going to be here 'for long'. It's hard to keep track of dear ones far away. Do you email them weekly? Or say 'hi wad r u doing nw' on msn?

Or choose not to, because it only prolongs the 'sweet sorrow', of having to say goodbye, then not actually 'letting go?' That I want to have a chance to still know what's going on in their lives and thus be a part of it, nevertheless?

Ganesh's leaving 7th July, first to Chennai and then to University of Delaware. May come back in 4 years' time, or get a green card and settle there.
Ches' sailing somewhere, back to Melaka in October earliest - which means I probably won't get to see him at all.
Markos' supposed to come back today, 3 months and then off to law school again, many years more.
Giffy's going 8th July, hopefully SAF. 2 years.

I guess if I had the chance I would tell them with all sincerity that they belong in my heart forever and are always deeply cherished and prayed for. Oh, but that would be so unlike me, So untrue of the frivolous me - who often forgets to appreciate people, nice guys that would carry my bag and listen to me till the wee hours, who would discuss ideas and thoughts with me and pray for me everyday... ... time passes. I forget. Do I not want to remember? No, I honestly do. But carrying overt sentimentalism around within me is not my style, these thoughts burden me.
Mr BestFriend's back on the 14th. Yay! Miss him in a way only best friends do. So much to tell, about the changes in my life. I've been aching to talk to him. I guess I think about him more than I pray, which shouldn't be the case. I hope he's happy there, and even happier to be back, in which case I'll be the happiest of all, to see him again, after all that has happened.

Sometimes it's the traumas of life that strengthens bonds within souls.

Sometimes, simple words spoken from distances breaks the barriers of silence.

Sometimes...parting is such sweet sorrow.