Saturday, November 19, 2005

A positive impact

I'm just starting out, but I know what I'm going to be.

Grasshopper asked me (naively) if I am a hardcore christian, I was pretty amazed he knew. Then he started singing this ancient hymn that even I have not heard before. Despite me not saying anything about it to him, so far. But on my part, since the day I met him, I have been praying that somehow God will show Himself to him. I'm really happy to have met Grasshopper. He makes me happy, and speaks my love language all too well. I should not beat myself up for being too close to him in such a short period of time. But all the same, I do worry about whether this is going to last and where will this journey lead. And is he like this, to all the other people he recently met too? Or am I different, a special one? I can't tell. I'm content for now for the amount of time he is willing to spend and offer to me, and the wonderful conversations of a familiar-yet-strange kind.

One reason why I relate so well with him is because I see so much of myself in him, the good; and the bad. He is the bold part of me that I've kept supressed for so long, the fire, and the constant enthusiasm that perks the whole place up. Grasshopper reminds me of myself, of who I can be in front of others, as long as I just let my guard down, and be happy, like the old days. Meeting him is like meeting an old friend I forgot I once knew.

Surprisingly, I find myself, more peaceful, more certain, more at ease with the world. I start talking to people, these days, more often that I normally do. Even in lifts. Even the coffee-sao, today I found out her name is Mary. It's amazing what some daily encouragement from someone does for you daily. I shall encourage the familiar strangers around me too.

Thank God for the rain. Walking in the rain, with the cute colleague today. Was in a hyper mood so made him share his tiny umbrella with biggie me. He's nice but really guarded, and the type that would never ever approach people on the street so I was wondering what is he doing in my job. Anyways, he's nice. So, I found out during our sojourn that I'm influential, too, in a way. Was telling him about Grasshopper, he remarked that he sort of knew about it... And so I 'scolded' him for eavesdropping, a mean feat as I'm about 4 metres away from him. He remarked that I spoke quite loudly on the phone and everyone including him could overhear anything I said to anyone, haha... Well, it's either that, or they are learning how to talk to people from me. Or perhaps they are just not working! I must say that I 'eavesdrop' too, but with the intention of learning what not to say, and how to build rapport. So wow. I always knew they were eavesdropping so sometimes I go manager's room to call. But wow, I feel quite pleased knowing he's always listening.

Read something that impacted me, about influence. Some people are supposedly natural, but I think it takes the will and also actively doing it. I want to be more influential. I cannot believe how some leaders influence no one. Hey, if you are a leader, you are supposed to be influential, it says so in your 'name'! I want to be someone that develops leaders one day, who develops other leaders and in so doing, achieve success! Which cannot be measured in monetary terms, only the quality of life.

At the bottom level, the person influences: no one. This, I find very very sad 'cuz I believe that hey, even a little office boy or cleaner can influence someone. Right? Well, maybe no one wants to listen to their opinion and perhaps they are not allowed to talk. The next level, the person influences: some people. I think that's the norm. Next, influence: only the people under them... Again, very sad case. Those people, got no choice but to listen. Hey, at least they do. The next level is better: influences their peers, yay! Next: influences the people above them - I know I'm doing this already! Influencing Manager, already a month with her and now she speaks like me with my strange slang - and always uses my cute phrases... typically I do it many times in a day... The top level, influences: Everyone. People who write books, do speeches, that sort of thing. I hope to be up there someday! One of the ways I know, for myself, is that I need to talk more, especially in larger groups. I'm very comfortable to share, influence and inspire in small groups, but in large ones I tend to only focus on the people left and right of me, and also, be more of a crappy person. Serious stuff I cannot handle well talking to big groups, when I realise 10 pairs of eyes on me listening intently, I gulp and start to... be funny. It's a wonder how I managed to get through each session I lead. =)

So, hope to influence someone everyday! One day I will realise it, like how I realised it today. I'm happy for that, I hope I made a positive impact.