Sunday, February 05, 2006

Deep talks

With some people you just wish time could cease and you don't have to stop spending time with the person because it's late, or you have to leave to someplace else.

Yes, I have the 'tell-me-your-life-story' face.

I'm always amazed that people I barely know well, will share with me honestly, what happened to them, in their lives. I'm always enriched by these recounts, almost as if I was reliving them myself. For them, I believe too, that the sharing of past hurtful experiences releases a little bit of the hurt inside, so I am happy that they choose to share, and that I am here, to listen.

Spent a nice evening with Warrie after the float parade yesterday... we did not have anywhere to go, but we just wanted to spend time talking. We had a conversation about God, too. I did not attempt to answer his questions but just listened and tried to understand his reasonings. His life story was pretty tremendous - after his girlfriend of 6 years left him for an ang-moh, he was so...out of his mind that he actually maxed out his credit cards, all 10 of them. (I was wondering, what did he buy!) a staggering sum...he had to live hand-to-mouth after that. Repaid all, already, with enough left over now. From the way he talked, I could sense that he really loved her, even though it happened some years back. This relationship was probably the deepest, which hurt the most.

Warrie's the type I like, the type of guy that just adores you, thinks the world of you despite him being successful, intelligent as well... he just brings out the best in whoever he's with. With him, I laughed and laughed, felt natural, at ease, like old friends...none of the tension and drainedness I feel when I'm with Grass. Warrie's the type that will send you to your doorstep, and take another cab home, though it makes no sense (and a waste of money too) to wait for one just 5 minutes after I've gone. He's the paying type, too. Someone trustworthy who also respects your independence. Woo, I like! Forgot to give him a goodnight kiss for being so nice, hahaha...

I realise I'm awfully blessed that at least most of my guy friends are so...chivalrous - Mr BestFriend is, so are many of the people I've dated in Trinity... awww. Although I do know of some other friends who are totally otherwise. I guess they leave a bad impression comparing to those who ae remarkably outstanding.

Talked a lot with Turtle too. She shared of previous experiences - similar to Mr BestFriend's ...her ex- passed away last year. He was 26. I could not take it, hearing of such painful stories. Sadistically we talked abou being married and what if he- our husband just dropped dead - or we, died before him. For me, I would prefer to go first. I'm not even sure my faith can stand the test of being newly-wedded and then having him pass away. For her, she would prefer to go first, as she did not want him to see her die before him. A saddening topic for a chat, but I guess death is truly unexpected. And once again I realise I'm blessed, to have parents who are vigorous and non-diseased, a healthy body, and not having tasted the bitterness of death. Turtle is strong in character because of this, and her dad having died in front of her when she was young. I remember John Amos telling me, through pain and suffering, it's not the reault that God is interested in, it's the process. Though we have many unanswered questions and cannot imagine the destiny for those, we have to trust in a greater purpose.

With some people, it's just natural to talk about deep stuff - perhaps they, in a sense, are thinkers too... or just more open to share with me. I don't know why some people, despite knowing them for quite some time, our conversation is limited to the daily affaires and mundane happenings. I relish deep thoughts though. =)