Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Fraud Case, continued.

The irascible agent called me. 4 times on Monday, but I was overseas and gleefully advised him to call me the next day.

Well yesterday he did, and horrors! He asked me to 'do him a favor', change my statement to "I accidentally forgot I signed the form" (which is so obviously not signed) and talked to me for about half an hour in an upbeat voice, trying to make it seem like it was all in a day's work.

He told me that he had to hit this Persistency Award thing - more bonus $ perhaps, and said that actually I was being insured for free while he paid and could I bear with it till Jan or Feb?

I said, no, I don't want this thing, even if its being insured for free. He was pretty convincing (Can win the Golden Horse award for best performance) and almost too sincere that I was slightly taken aback. He cajoled me to help him, using emotional hot buttons like, he has a family to feed, he needs this income.

Actually he did not know that it was the Head office that called me for the investigation, thinking that I had written in to complain. He was taken aback when I sternly said that it was a Senior Exec who called me in. I added fuel to the fire by saying "They have been investigating you long ago." And I asked casually how many others did he do the same thing, forge the signature, thus cheating the company by getting more bonus out of it. He replied tersely, "Haha. That's for me to know." (Surely, this kind of statement means that its many people...)

The point that made my blood boil was when he said, "Remember I told you before, you can depend on me? Now I need your help. Remember, I once helped you too when you were in financial difficulties." Wow! Like when? The only time I had 'financial difficulties' was when I didn't/couldn't pay for the policy and let it lapse... which I wanted to anyway. I did pay him the lapsed amount after a few months for nothing. So it should be that he owes me, not the other way around. The way he tried to use these emotional words on me was too much, but trying not to antagonize him (He knows where I live and work and all sort of other details), in the end I said, I'd think about it... (Helping him to lie and keep his income.)

I have no intention to do so, and I think if the company found out that he has been asking me to falsify my statement, he would be in deeper trouble. I shook my head at his stupidity!

So, I have until the end of the week to think of something to say to him that sounds, un-antagonizing because I don't want him to go crazy and blame me for his woes and creep up my doorstep one day! Actually I have no complains in this matter because I'm being insured for free (although without my knowledge and against my free will) but he is cheating the company, not me. I doubt that even if I help him, the charges will be waived. And if I help him, isn't it like being an accomplice for embezzlement, without any returns?