Sunday, February 25, 2007

I like U.

Someone nice said to me,
"I like the way you are...Stay that way."


I like you.


Just go ahead and like him or her, la.
I don't know why when people like someone they first have to 'justify' their feelings FIRST before... eh, continuing to LIKE the person?
I cannot like him because of his age...He is too old/young...I don't like younger guys... Or because he has liked my best friend before... Or because he is Malaysian/Indonesian/whatever, ...He is too nerdy for me. Too holy. Too mature. Too immature.
Blah blah. And then, just because the feelings aren't justified, we go out into the world wide forest searching for someone else, to fit the bill?

I guess liking someone can't be defined in that way. If the person fits every little thing you have been looking for... except one - say the two words 'unequally yoked' and most would shudder. But what if you really liked him. For those who have never ever liked a non-christian before, I guess it's just easy to condemn the relationship and 'try to talk some sense' into the person. But for those who have ever liked someone from the 'dark side', you know how difficult it is to overcome it. Same goes for liking someone of a different race, or just somewhat different from you.

Sure, same-same attracts. In a Reader's Digest article this is the point that they keep bringing up. You are more likely to fall for someone in your work place - yes, office romances work out most of the time - or someone you meet pretty often in a social setting ie The Church. Then it's easier. You don't have to worry about say, changing church. Or worry about how your kids will look like? Will the kid have Dad's dark skin and Mom's small eyes? Heh. Usually we like same-same, just because it's easier. After all this is an 'instant-noodle' era. Just pour hot water. We don't want to worry about differing beliefs, different countries. Even in Singapore - must we live in the same district? I've heard ridiculous sayings about how some gals prefer their boyfriend to live in the East than the West. Err, Singapore is already quite small you know... (But I agree East guys are better looking!)

I like you!


I remember saying absurdly many times to a wonderful guy I was with, "I love you." I love you. I love you, I used to say almost every time we met or parted. But I think I said it more to convince myself that this was going to last as I probably thought it wouldn't, because 'we are too different'. So maybe to spare themselves more heartbreak, safe people choose same-same, after all.

I like you...

Strangely how people seem to like the most unsuitable people. I mean, it's strange to me because I hardly like/love people easily, and when I do like them, I like them for quite some time. But some people can like people every fortnight, every month... Isn't it tiring? Told Kie in the car yesterday about a long-forgotten ex-crushee of his, whom I knew liked him because another lady told me - or rather, asked her about it in my presence. It is all so long ago, so I have no qualms about telling him about that now. He was flabbergasted. I think I can keep secrets pretty well - at least I will forget about it instantly and don't even sneak in a snidely smile at the abovementioned. But not wanting to kill friendships, I thought she was totally unsuitable for him. How do you tell friends their liking is totally unsuitable? You are putting yourself in the target area for a lot of bashing up - that would be so un-worth it. So I will just observe many likings and a few relationships 'crashing and burning', and when the person comes to me for sob-pity party, I will just try my best to hold my tongue and say, I told you so.

After a traumatic relationship, only Jelly honestly told me "I'm happy for you." And then he explained why, and I don't doubt his words. So I think when your friend cannot see the mistake they are driving themselves to, it is best to tell them exactly what you think. In this case diplomacy and tact does not really work. It's good to be a woodblock sometimes! =)

I like you?


Having just passed the v-day, many magazines and whatnot this month brought up the topic of love. Even Kie's cell topic was on l.o.v.e! And Reader's Digest tried to 'define' how to find Mr Right and fall in love etc. Normally I would not read such articles, as I think it's all psychology nonsense... but what to do, I had time to kill while waiting for my client in a magazine store. Pretty interesting too! It said that they conducted a test on which individuals were shown photos of people, twice. One with the pupils dilated and one, normal one. In almost all instances they individuals picked those with pupils dilated as 'more attractive' even though there was no other significant difference. RD says that when we are aroused, we tend to look at someone with pupils dilated. Being a dark-eyed creature, I don't think I can 'see' or feel my pupils dilating, and the other party can't see it also? So this point proves the thingy that most people know already, couples staring into each others' eyes and feeling something for each other. It's actually because of the pupils. RD had more examples and some were pretty interesting, others we probably know about already. But I found this the most interesting, next time I shall try to see if my date's pupils dilate without looking too creepy. It's strange because I can never sense whether anyone has a torch for me. I don't even think further why they are being nice to me, only because all my male friends are super nice as well.


I like you.


There is no conclusion to this post, just that when you like someone, many many people will be interested in finding out why you will exactly like this person. It's as though you suddenly became more interesting! And inevitably, they will share with you their past or current likings as well, and it makes both of you buddies in a world where even simple likings have to be justified...and you shouldn't like him because of... (whatever reason). To me, it's just a liking only , anyways, and the fact that you like this person shows you appreciate this person, and both of you are having nice feelings about each other. So why kill it by being objective?