Thursday, September 13, 2007

phantom

The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost. -G.K. Chesterton

John Ortberg, in "Love Beyond Reason" wrote

"When can I get the courage to stop hiding? When I am loved.
In Phantom of the Opera, the phantom wears a mask to hide his horribly disfigured face. He lives in the bowels of the old opera house, to cloak his presence and bitter misdeeds. But the woman Christine touches his heart.

At the climax of the story, his mask is removed. In that moment he chooses to be known, to be seen. He knows that his face is hideous; he waits for her to scream in terror, but she does not. Her heart is moved by compassion and pity.

She does not turn away. She gently kisses his scarred face.

And her love changes him, at least a little.

He is able to let her go, to give her her freedom even though he knows it is the end of his dream. When he was able to stop hiding for a moment, he could be known and loved as he was, even in all his difigurement.

First the mask must come off. Then love can penetrate the heart."



Along the way, I've learnt to be brave. You know, I never really thought that feelings were important, that they were only there for me as a process of understanding, of knowing myself. But I've learnt to confront my fears. To live, fully - I've always believed in being sincere, in being truthful, in being trustworthy. And I've learnt to be stronger in what I believe in.

Though things may not look bright now, and I face the greatest fear of all - of losing you, I stand firmly by what I believe in. God will help us through.

I know that my feelings will last.
One week later, one month later...one year later. I know that it will still be there. Perhaps that will mean that I will lose all I've dreamed of.
But to love, I must be strong. I have to be brave. And I must be firm.

Not just for me. For us.

I know why you cannot love me.
I know letting go means letting God take care of it.

Muffin, God will take care of us.