Thursday, December 06, 2007

Bali MIT testimony

Here is my testimony for the BALI Mission Trip!

=)


Together with a friend, I had specifically signed up for the Bali MIT and was really excited to go on a mission trip after my last humanitarian trip to Banda Aceh 2 years ago. However, I was plagued with some emotional issues and depressive feelings which hampered me spiritually. In the months leading up to the trip, I was wavering spiritually. Many times, I thought of pulling out because I did not want to pull the whole team down; as by this time, I was not able to pray or even have the motivation to hear from God.

However, my friend encouraged me (said I should not 'sabo' him) and I was reminded of why we signed up, so I went. God spoke to me during the trip, especially about obedience and how serving Him has its blessings. I was encouraged also by all the team members, their caring attitude and prophetic words let me know that God is still in charge of my life.

We were impacted greatly by the members of the church who were warm towards us and demonstrated God's power in their lives - each time we worshipped, they sang from their hearts, and I felt the Spirit ministering to me even though I could not understand most of the words. They were eager in assisting us in doing SALTing, and shared that they did SALTing 3-4 times a month, I was really impressed by their faith and eagerness to follow our cell model faithfully.


The best part about the trip for me was during one morning where we had a 40-minute session with a classroom of high school students aged around 16, 17 yrs old; on the pretext of helping them to have an interest in learning English. Most of them were from a Hindu background, and they are hard to reach to as their family is steeped in tradition. Bali, being 'The Island of the gods' is well-known for having statues and shrines in every house, every corner and every entrance to buildings.

We were only given 5 minutes to prepare and prayed to be led by the Spirit to minister to these students. My partner and I went to a class that initially seemed rowdy and ill-disciplined, talking loudly and roaring with racuous laughter at jokes we could not comprehend.

He shared first about how his English was bad, coming from a Chinese speaking background; but because he wanted to become a teacher, he persevered and now was teaching English in a primary school! The students clapped and even encouraged him which I felt was very endearing. All ears, they then listened excitedly to the story I shared - the parable of the lost sheep. During the sharing, we could sense that the students quietened down and the Holy Spirit was ministering in their hearts as many of them, too, were lost - many of them had a difficult family situation or were having a tough life.

As I shared about being 'bata-hati' - 'broken-hearted' in the situations of my life this year, I could see the students silently contemplating their heart issues. And when we said that the story of the lost sheep demonstrates- God, The Father's love for us, that he loves the one lost sheep, the expression on their faces showed that they understood the story more than we could imagine. At this time, we sensed an opening and my partner led them to pray. It was a miracle for me to see ALL the students bowing their heads in prayer as we prayed for them to be led to the Father's love.

We ended with the song "What He's done for me" which affirmed God's love for them, and taught them to sing together with us:

"Amazing love, amazing love
Amazing love...amazing love
All I know is I once was lost, but now am found
I was blind but now I see
And I know He will do for you,
What He's done for me."

It has been a life changing trip for me! So go for as many MITs as you possibly can!

PS: See photos at my multiply site.