Thursday, March 20, 2008

good daddy


Me, 'forking' (attack with a fork) GoodDaddy. He's oblivious to my fork attack and still smiling happily... lol!

I am in a reminiscent mood because I was sickly - first time sickly this year. Staying at home tends to put me into a restless, whirring buzz of inactivity. Staying at home while sickly is even more depressing. But when I am in this state it seems that my thoughts are clearer, and I don't/try not to think about work, just wanting to languish in the safe, sweet memories of the recent past.

We were (along with the other mission trip members) eating succulent seafood at this nice Bali beach -Jimbaran. It was really dark with only candlelight to go round and our chairs sunken into the sand made for a really unique dining experience.

Met up over a weekend dinner with Shiner and his lady colleague. During the course of the conversation, GoodDaddy urged me to sing (maybe he wanted to duet with me secretly?) the song 'What He's done for me', for the lady colleague who was new.

'What He's done for me' became like a theme song of sorts, for us. Due to the fact that we were rehearsing this song everyday during the mission trip, and singing it almost everywhere we went. And that shared moment, in which we both sang, at dinner on a saturday night; voices blending in harmony almost to a split second, was something that made my day!

It reminded me of the times we shared, in the mission trip, the way we led the school kids and the simple rifts of the guitar backing up our singing in the fields, in the van. I wanted to turn to him and just ask, "do you remember..." with a sparkle in my eyes... knowing that my question would be redundant because just by looking at him, I know that he remembers too, though not in the same way which I allude to it, but in a way that only circumstance-shared memories can change a person, and change that moment, into something special, for us.

I always have so many things to tell GoodDaddy. In fact, I store little treasure troves of memories in my mind, like an autopilot, to put them into the 'things I wanna tell him' category of stories and interesting stuff in my daily life routine. But each time I meet him, it seems that time is better spent, traversing in silence.

For where most people form a bond through talking words; our friendship is held through a comfortable, cheerful silence that means that we can just feel at ease in time and space; and with each other; walking, wordlessly.