Monday, June 30, 2008

focused

Be magnanimous in victory, gracious in defeat.


People I eat with... LOL!!!


Update: Tomorrow heralds the start of the second half of the year - Time flies!
I'm going to make it my 'buy-nothing month', and try really hard not to buy anything other than the necessary, save for my weekend trip to KL which I'd probably be too busy anyways, and stuff that run out like cleansers or...medicine. So I'd have to postpone my handphone buy to August (which I suspect there are better deals anyways and I'm still undecided about my brand and function preference) haha. I wonder how much I'd save? No movies either. There's always watch-movies.net!!!




Being an extrovert, sometimes one can't help but focus on the external - the people around us, and the situations or the mess we're in and that somehow gets me down most of the time, even if it's for a little while.

Especially when it comes to 'dealing with difficult people' - I haven't had that for quite a while now, so it just sort of splits me (tear, or break apart) to see people misbehaving in a manner which ultimately, can set off a spiral of events or bad feelings that affects more people than, say, just me. Ie, making bad decisions, or unable to make decisions... yes, there are people who are like that. And I just realized that it's not because I'm in the picture, they'd probably do so to everyone because it's in their inherent nature, and I guess the reason why they can't seem to do better is because they, like almost everyone else, are afraid of change.

And these people throw me off balance for a while. Not only do I feel discouraged - and that's a small thing really, generally try not to let negative insensitivities distract me, but I just wish that some people would be a little more intelligent and not affect those around them, or realize their effect on the people around them and realize how easy it is, to change!

Chestnut seems to have his rants too on the same matter (Funny when different people are affected by similar things.) Case in point which he emailed me about - he's sailing:

'I realised that I have difficulty relating to people when I can't make out their emotional state, which I realised by working with my second engineer. On the whole he's an affable, jolly sort of fellow, but sometimes when I talk to him; his taciturn replies seem to imply that he's not happy with me. Then half an hour later he's all back to his normal jokes again. So whenever that happens, I realise that I get worked up cause I don't know how to react. It's almost as if his capriciousness 'messes up my system.' It's probably also cause I don't like conflict, so if it's present - or if I feel it present - I become uncomfortable and agitated.'

Similarly, I do get quite upset for a few hours by people I shouldn't even bother with... Oh well. Ches says that in these times you discover your true character, and I think that when things aren't going well for you, you begin to treasure the good times and the good people you must, but forget to thank God for placing in your life and having them around every single day.

I realise also that at times when you're too emotional you tend to make shmucky decisions. It's like the focus is gone and you're just worried about what people are thinking or what's going on and usually the decision won't turn out well. Also, when you're too unemotional, you don't have the mood to make ANY decision. Haha. I guess a good decision making comes partly from being concerned about what the people around you will think - if you're totally unaffected it might not be such a good thing - but not too much, too much concern will paralyze you I think. And also, just deciding sometimes is better than letting other people decide for you, or just letting it hang in the balance. People will respect you if you make a decision, even if it turns out not to be optimal, rather than not making one at all. Because if you feel for something, if you stand for something, if you believe in something so badly that nothing's going to stop you, do something about it.