Tuesday, September 23, 2008

handed





A sharing from lil meeee...book review!

I just feel compelled to share what God is speaking to me through 2 books written lately (2008). It's no coincidence that these two books fell 'in my hand' and I was urged to buy; or read it!

1. Moving On Moving Up in the marketplace, Apostle Naomi Dowdy 2008.

2.Give me the multitudes! Obeying God's call into the Media World, Apostle Lawrence Khong, 2008


The last weekend's Vision Rally message was something very powerful for me - The phrase "Use that (little thing) which God has put into your hand" - kept at me the whole weekend - I was reminded that I had responded to a call in XA camp to serve Him (2001? P Wilson's time)... God asked me to look at my hands, and He said, He will USE these hands to feed his sheep. To me, this is something significant as I am one of the 'fringe people', creative type, don't really suit the typical image of a church leader... it is harder for us to serve or even feel accepted in a mainstream church society because we always have problems fitting in! Until now, unfortunately! Haha. (Well, without us, your tenet course would not be free and the YA service still at 730. And no atm facilities to pay tithe. I bet those who still use cash are the mainstream crowd!!! Being outspoken sometimes helps.-)

I was reminded even before the weekend that I should do something for God in my job/marketplace.This year, I joined a new industry - moved out from land asset management to tech/media startup co. Was very stressed, still am very stressed, because of the steep learning curve - though I studied design, it was an entirely different scope - from not knowing anything about facing the PC (I don't even know how to use Outlook!) and videography, I was suppose to produce and direct small productions. I have discovered the worst stress is ... not knowing what to do! As I am in a startup, I have to make major decisions on a daily basis - even who to hire or fire. Of course, it beats being micro-managed, but at this age I think I prefer to learn from other older business persons than to have to bear these kind of decisions daily. NOT FUN.

P Dowdy's book is about reclaiming the 'mountains' in our workplace, identify which of the 7 you are in, and claim them! Immediately, the 'mountain of 'media' stood out. I remember my videographer Eileen Chong saying (to random people, but I was around) we/she had to reclaim the media industry for God, (some time back.) Because I am not directly involved in producing media, but rather, facilitating, I never felt the stirring in my heart to claim or state that I am in this industry... but again and again, there was the phrase ' what has God put into your hand (and what are you going to do about it) Also, I never really liked people who were all talk and no action - or who lacked a proactive or initiative to do WHAT WAS RIGHT...not my style!


In the book:

PG 27 "Every marketplace Christian and business person must begin to ask themselves: WHAT HAS GOD PUT INTO MY HAND?"
PG 47 "WHAT HAS GOD PUT IN YOUR HAND, and what have you done to bring increase to these resources?"


....

My mom's friend, one auntie in our block fr FCBC, lent the 2nd book to Mom who kept nagging me to read, somehow Mom knows best. She says long queue for the book so I better finish it soon...

When I opened the 2nd book, again;

PG xi "When God called Moses, He asked him, "WHAT DO U HAVE IN YOUR HAND?"
PG 11 "I remember the Lord saying to me like He did to Moses, "What is the staff or rod that you have in your hands? Use what I have put in your hands all these years."


I was stunned. It's no coincidence that 2 SG apostles wrote similar things in their latest book, and I believe this word is not only for me but for many people as well (that is why I am forsaking my sleep to type this, aye)

I feel sad that my generation has forgotten how to fast and pray. To really pray. When have we really prayed for something until it came to pass? And to take ownership of our cell or workplace or industry or family clan or...?

Sometimes we do not think we have enough in our hands... It's true, everyone is affected and have lost money or opportunity in some ways. There is the atmosphere of fear, paralysing fear.

But what's important is that in the midst of all these , we reclaim our 7 mountains, be it the mountains of family, church (people), education (school), media, arts/entertainment/sports, business, government. Give me this mountain!

I just wanted to share how the books I read recently touched me, along with the service. Prayer is like 100-plus... when you have not drank it for long, you forget about it... but when you are reminded about it, suddenly you long for that refreshing, thirst-quenching feel!

Then you wonder how could you have forgotten about it in the first place.




Always good to read books.
Especially those written by Apostles (who know better and can hear better!)