Monday, September 29, 2008

stirred


Caption this.

"Not 5 loaves and 3 fishes... it's 3 pastors and a banana!"

--

"You have to give us a chance"

I was surfing TV channels this weekend when I felt touched watching Jamie's Kitchen Australia - Jamie's setting up a new restaurant in Melbourne which gives employable livelihood to underprivileged people.

A girl shared about how difficult her job-hunting was, that no one wanted to employ her because she doesn't speak well, because she doesn't look ladylike and she has quite a number of tattoos. She just stated how grateful she was to be given a chance to work, here. A staff on Jamie's kitchen, an old man, just started tearing and went into the storeroom, which Jamie also went into to comfort him. He was saying, "I'm just an old dog, you know... I'm the religious sort. And I've never done anything good. The poor girl! All she wants is a chance to work."

At this point of time I started tearing too. I felt strongly, both ways. I'm glad that I'm out of the 'fringe' - that I can fit into the mainstream well enough to be liked and respected and capable. But still I've always felt grateful for the people who have given me a chance - not just The Boss, but my first church leader who handpicked me to lead a cell of delinquents and social misfits, or so they're termed. Perhaps they understand society better than the rest of us, so they have decided to go against it, who knows?

And I've always wanted to do something good. I always want to do the humanitarian trip again and visit people who live on an income which is our monthly spend. Seeing the devastation in Aceh just makes me want to do more. But how do I do so when I am struggling here to keep up with the bills, the spending and the hectic dullness of everyday life? It's really tough for us here, too. In a way.

But somehow I hope all of us struggling with different issues will look and see that there's actually ways we can help others while needing help ourselves.

Some old photos... Haha.


spot jaena


spot frank... n shirley