Wednesday, September 10, 2008

imprisoned (the days)


Reminds me of a guy I used to like... From Z Sec Sch, one year older than me and always sits behind me in the morning bus from Bishan (53) Haha! Maybe he is!

Please leave me your pager number *jute jute*


Caught 'The Days' public premiere this evening. I must say that for a local film, directorial debut, I was VERY impressed! All the 'retro' stuff (movie is set in the 89-90s), they've got it down pat. Though it's not really my era yet, I was 'street smart' from a very young age and thus remember all those familiar memories that probably those in their late 20s till mid 30s remember! Like the tea dances, 'jute jute', scribbling your gang name on back seats of buses and beating people up, hey, those were the good old days!

Look out for scenes of those old childhood playground - the 'dragon' one not the 'bird' series...I wonder where they filmed it...old lifts that only went to the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th floors, those days the lifts had whitish flower wallpaper which yellowed and the buttons always had chewing gum...REMEMBER? Remember the old MCDs and the MCDs cups which had small 'M's printed on them in varying shades of yellow and brown... and the pagers, the old 'telecom' sign printed on telephone booths which we would use to call the people who paged us... those awful clothes, bright yellow shirt with opened buttons, tucked into versace jeans and doc martens to kick people harder (steel toe boots protects feet)...and sneaking into the PE room to get your weapons of choice, those were the good old days! Now gangs are... not as 'brotherly' as before, this show is a really good quasi-documentary about what really happened in the past. I enjoyed every bit of it, perhaps because I can identify with some parts.


The two actors are also quite promising, though I would say the filming could be better if done in a sentimental korean style rather than the singaporean quasi-documentary style.

I hope this show gets more publicity and not be branded as an ah-beng show - but more of something that documents the lifestyle of the students who play truant and escape into gangs.

I wonder what became of my friends who joined these gangs? Now, these street gangs no longer exist in such intensities... I guess society as a whole is becoming more individualistic - the rise of personal sports (think golf, gaming) compared to the decline of group sports also shows that. - heck, except for church groups I hardly hang out in a group anymore. So... in a way, shows the societal changes as well. And what happened to the ah-lian way of highlighting hair in very obvious tigerish strips? Did it really die out or does it still happen in some obscure salons in sarawak? I love the glitter eyeshadow the ah-lian in the show wears...must go get some.


Like a really bad fashion memory...

Go watch!

www.thedaysmovie.com