Tuesday, April 07, 2009

bunny is gone.


My rabbit, Skiiri, has passed.

She was a significant bunny.
I bought her - one of the reasons was to learn parenting, how to be a good one. So in a sense, losing her was akin to a mother losing a child. The sense of loss, the feeling when you look at the empty cage...in a small way, I am able to understand a little bit of this sense of loss.

Brought her to the vet on Saturday, had x-ray and was given 5 different meds. Rabbits have a variety of sickness so I guess it's quite common for them to get GI. She pushed on for quite long though, about 3 weeks before succumbing. I was quite traumatised looking at the stiffened body, and still am choked when I think back on when I brought her in as a tiny baby wabbit. She was an alpha female, so it wasn't easy to bring her up. Liked to kick me, and struggle, not those 'nua', gentle types that just lay in your lap. Even at the vet, she kept stamping her foot so loudly that the dog-owners were surprised. 

Through keeping pets - of which I've had many, you learn something about yourself, and through her short life (3 years in July) I've had many memories.

My sweetest memory, is her coming to the edge of her cage (in the kitchen) while I am singing in the shower...just perking up her ears to listen to me. And when I was done, I'd sing her a bunny song and you can almost see her smiling. 

Mom told me to get a small dog. I think I'd love a dog in the future, but sometime later perhaps.

She was a significant bunny.