Thursday, September 30, 2010

accidentally

3 years ago, I wrote a short story with a remarkable plot.

In fact, now I marvel at my maturity for writing about such a controversial theme, being a christian, often we do not touch on such topics. I've re-written the short into several forms over the years, but the gist of it is that it begins with a car accident along a highway in Canada. A couple was found - the guy died but the lady survived after some trouble. It seems like a tragic accident but in reality, the guy was married to someone else and the infidelity was discovered only upon the accident and his death. Then, the lady was diagnosed with amnesia, a form of it (retrogade) due to brain injury and this made her only able to remember him, and their love. It's a love story which makes you think about the thoughts of all the characters and the difficult position they find themselves in. A father who has a daughter who can only remember one man. A wife who thought her husband was faithful. And how about the 'true love' story we have always hoped for. Different kinds of love, questioned.

I'm not sure what prompted me to write the story. Sometimes we think too much about life but sometimes life is stranger than fiction.

Everyone always wishes to be someone's true love story, like the movie 'Enchanted' which I think is pretty realistic - both prince and princess realizes their true love is someone... well, more suitable than the alleged match. And sometimes when a relationship ends, it doesn't mean that they don't love each other. Love hurts. It's a nice feeling to have someone caring for you but at the end of the day, you have to spend the rest of your life with the person. (If you love someone who is in his 60s, it's only twenty years though. Haha!) I can't proclaim that I am full of life experiences, being at a funny age where I am neither young nor old, neither full of youthful enthusiasm nor really jaded... Maybe at the age where if I decide to take collagen and vitamins and exercise regularly it will save me from cellulite and auntish-lookingness. But we judge too much. What if the love comes later for some, or in the form of a much younger/older person? What if two people who are very different and have no chemistry still can make it rock due to shared ideals and a deep love? For my generation, it's often thought but not said aloud: If it doesn't work, we can leave. Yes, either before or after marriage. I think we are both wise enough and selfish enough to know that we have options unlike past generations. Some people make bad choices when they were younger, why judge them for righting the wrong... some people are just not meant to be. I really don't know right now if I will choose never going to Europe to have kids.... you know those kind of choices. As a singleton said, "I think I will still WANT to go to Europe after all!"

But when it really comes to those kind of choices, it's really tough.

Especially when it's your whole lifetime in front of you.