Saturday, December 15, 2007

jelly

It's a nice way to spend the Christmas season meeting friends in the afternoon and just catching up over coffee and cake. After everything this year, I'm really looking forward to 2008, and oh yes, being one year older.

Been drinking too much coffee though. In cold rainy weather it's always nice to warm the hands with a nice warm cappucino. I must say the toffeenut latte is really good. Warm, with cold whipped cream on top. Yum.

I also realized I have absolutely no sales resistance... I always end up buying 'more than I should'... the sales assistants in sg are doing a fantastic job I must say. Went to one makeup shop just to buy nail polish (nice shiny silver I like)... after unsuccessfully persuading me to buy a 'topcoat', she skilfully whipped out a small brush and started brushing some lipstick on me, saying that it is full of vitamins and minerals and this color complements me, etc... ... well, I must say that it really did... ended up buying it. Actually, I never wear lipstick... but this sales person was amazing. I couldn't even have one second of reflection! Haha. My first lipstick. Becoming an 'auntie' soon man...

So this week, had a wonderful time catching up with Jelly.
Travis introduced me to Shiner who introduced me to Jelly. I know, I know TOO MANY tall, young, eligible males in the church. It's not that I purposed to make friends with them, but it seems that guys like hanging out together, and together with me. Since I was young I gallivanted with the boys in my neighborhood so I think that explains much. I think guy friends make better friends too, at least I can catch movies withh them without having to discuss it later, or catch up over coffee without having to walk into numerous shops and giving my money away to skilful sales assistants. Guy friends make great listeners (maybe only the introverted ones?) and great dinner companions (they eat anything, and the leftovers on your plate).

Even after I get married I think I will still talk to some of my handsome, eligible, young, tall guy friends on the phone at times, so my husband gotta have a high self esteem.

So, me and Jelly caught up.

It's been said that through the down times, you know who your true friends really are, and you appreciate them better for being there.

I will always remember PS Chua's kind act, he sensed a need; Grant and Kie too, spent countless hours after church talking at the park below my house... and Jelly. Jelly is someone who sticks to his schedule almost to perfection, so I am touched when he offers to talk to me on the phone, and listens to me until everything's been said, just wanting to let me pour out on his strong woodblock shoulders.

He's been through tough times too, and I think a part of himself blames himself for it. Most of the tough times we go through in life, is self-caused. But I think you can't help emotions. And learning about your emotions and how to deal with them is a part of growing up as young adults.

I used to look at his situation, and look at mine, and wonder why it happened like this, and whether it will all be better again. But now when people ask me, whether I have 'recovered emotionally', I can honestly say that I don't feel a thing. Not that I am supressing what I feel, or becoming robotic... but I think I really have the joy of the Lord and wanting to walk with Him, wait on Him, now.

I remember a time when Travis told me, to pray and forgive. I said I can't. I just couldn't. But I did anyhow. And it helped. So the friend who dared to tell me what others did not dare to (or know how to) helps others the most, to recover, emotionally.

And our friendship is strengthened because of that bond. Because as friends we care enough about each other to speak out.

And I know that from now onwards, our friendship is no longer at the superficial 'hi-bye' level, it's no longer just hanging out and watching movies and feel empty after, because you don't even know the person beside you, even though you have known him for years.

I have grown up, in a sense.

I am becoming a woman of destiny...
And behind successful women there are always men. Lol!