Thursday, February 07, 2008

vested interests?

Vested interests?

I've come to realise that often, we find favor in the most unexpected of places. And perhaps it is God's leading (I do believe so) that leads you upon this way to somehow find favor with the people we least expect to.

I think friendships are a very important part of my life, that is why I write about them so often. To me, winning alone is a hollow victory; it's winning together as a team, that results in success for me. Of course, we don't expect to win all the time - it's the teamwork that is the fun and exciting part for me. It's always sad to work alone when you can work with someone else.

Sometimes, people don't realise that. Keeping friends close by, and teamwork. I've learnt a lot about teamwork and humility in Japan, the way they work inspires me. I see work as a leverage to earn income, get ahead in life and learn and understand more about certain complex processes we'd never get to learn in routine life. That is why work is important to me. Of late, it has become more important just because I don't have a ministry priority for this year. So, focus more on work. It turns out that I can, hopefully, manage two full-time jobs concurrently, and I am enjoying it though sometimes headaches plague me. I wonder why - my brain is expanding, perhaps?

I am in a fortunate position, work-wise right now, and it's all due to favor. I'm doing all the things I wanted to do, you could say that all my dreams are coming true. I've always enjoyed about almost everything I do in work, although it is not really that enjoyable, I think perhaps it's a positive mindset that makes the difference. Also, working under magnanimous people gives me the edge to be a better leader and manager in future. Under my angmoh boss, I've learnt to give people the due respect as an individual, not judging them based on their creditbility or their paper qualifications, something that is often done by the rest of the population. I've learnt to take things easy; in a way to have less fear. I am quite fearful at times, especially of making mistakes - I am harsh on myself. But if I am less fearful, it gives me more confidence to make the mistakes I need to make on my journey to success.

And the term 'mirco managing' has managed to make my way into our vocabulary, quite often, about the way some people have managed to upset the fragile eco-balance.

I've come to realise that once you release ungodly feelings (negative emotions) about the certain situation or person, and stop complaining or caring so much about it, the situation just resolves itself. Ok maybe it doesn't, but the way you don't put so much negative energy into it somehow makes the whole thing more positive. There's no point trying to justify the wrongs that other people have done in the name of good interest. And people have told me that the term for it is 'micro managing'. Found this really funny article online:

Back to our subject at hand, if you do insist on micro-managing, you have a problem; if you believe you must check on every detail, your style is symptomatic of insecurity or paranoia. Your style is based on a lack of faith and trust in other people. And, it is repressive. It leads to little growth, it discourages any human resource development, it focuses on problems of detail, and discourages teamwork. Eventually it may bring about the failure of your business.

If you don’t trust your employees or their judgment, and you are unwilling to allow them to assume any responsibility, you are cheating yourself of the talent you are paying for. As much as you may want to, you can’t build a one-person organization that will succeed in the long run.

Micro-managing may work for a while, but in time, it acts as a brake on all progress. http://www.adams-hall.com/micwilstrany.html


Thanks to Blackaby's "spiritual leadership", I've always known that the leader's schedule and decision making is important. By caring for people, whether they are your friends, employees, or cell members, always have a conviction and reason for the things you are doing for them, and the things you decide for them. Why is a leader's decision making so important? It helps to develop your people into better people, therefore reducing your problems and letting them share in it. In a way, it's a vested interest in all parties, the way parents want their children to grow up, make big money and be independent financially and emotionally...

True, sometimes the power we wield over people can make us into different people. For me, I can let myself grow either way. Either be 'haolian' (which is one of my greatest weakness), and be pleased with myself, or I can choose to be humble like the Japanese, always accepting that what I have can be taken away but the position I have now is given by God. We do have to make SOME mistakes, but we have to remember that winning alone only gives us a hollow victory.