Friday, March 07, 2008

the learning curve




Taken by my videographer and his team for RacingThePlanet, Vietnam 2008.

I find that life is enriched by the people you meet and the people you talk to. In my career, not talking to people is not an option. And I think that if you want to succeed in life, it is optimal to choose meeting up with people you can learn something from.

And although the type of work I do now, more than 50% is not in my previous scope of skills, I do try to learn as much as possible, reading books and talking to people who are more experienced than me. And often I find that the people are so nice, so willing to guide me along the way. I'm going to learn how to edit videos! Yay, my videographer has offered to teach me, so has The Boss. Well I believe that I can master it easily, and master it to a level that I can then instruct others how to edit...heh. In the last month I think I've learnt so much on a daily basis that my brain has 'expanded', somewhat. And the funny thing is, similar to muscles that cry out for more exercise once you've reached a certain level, I find that my brain has become more adept and efficient.

Due to my past depressive weeks last quarter, I found that I couldn't remember things, I couldn't even remember simple tasks I needed to do, and my brain was continually at a 'rest' mode. I only wanted to sleep and sleep and not think about anything. Now, it's scary. My brain keeps crying out for more information and I am reading biz books at a furious pace, digesting through magazines. I find a liking for Fortune. In the morning when I wake up, I have to read. On the train, at home... the brain is an amazing thing.

I've realised early on that finding the 'ideal' career is almost impossible for someone my age and qualifications in Singapore. Also, maybe I am always open to possibilities that is why I do not limit myself, and find others around me who are also similar.

Was lunching with TallGuy yesterday. He is now interning at a bank before he graduates from one of our unis. Although we have not talked much while being colleagues at The Office, somehow we share a certain connection, perhaps in a silent language, we have observed each other and the things we find similar and likable. After all a book I read said that body language plays a big part in communication, more so than words. It's always nice to lunch with someone who shares your ideals.

It is not surprising to find out that TallGuy shares the same thinking as me, that we can succeed in (almost) anything we put our minds to. I think few people share the same sentiment, but I think we have a similar sort of motivation here. I know some people who are motivated by $...I guess all of us are to a certain degree and that's not wrong...Others are motivated by just wanting the power that comes with the success, or the fame. I guess I haven't found out what my motivation is yet, although through thinking about it, I do have a few.

Namely,
1. I want to help my boss to be successful.

I think one of the reasons why I am putting in so much effort is that I really believe this biz will takeoff, and it's also one of my goals to help out in a startup for some years now. Funnily though, if it was my own biz, I wouldn't be as motivated to work as hard. Maybe I understand the worries and frustrations of being in charge, so I want to alleviate his worries as much as I can.

2. I want to make a better life for myself.

I've not been very prudent in saving or investing, although I still have a few years to right it, I really want to start a family before 30, so I have a inner motivation to work hard and save, for the next 4 years. Knowing that I can work hard for one year - the last year of my studies, I believe I can also go the distance for this period. Also that more of my time is freed from ministerial duties, I have that many more hours to turn into a success for my career.

The rest of my motivations, I have to think about it. Sometimes, you do not really know what drives you, just that I am very happy in my work and everyday wake up ready to complete as much as possible in every workday. I'm not really ambituous and the inner slacker in me will look out of the window and see that it's a nice sunny day to suntan, or to go off overseas on a whim... I still have that carefree spirit within me, so I have to strike a balance within the two.

I am going to make the most out of my opportunity here. Eventually, we will want to sell the company off. And hopefully, I will be able to share in the profits. Dad wants me to be a "VP" level next year. Hahahaha! (Incredulous laughter)

Being in a startup or a small company is not easy, but I prefer to learn these skills now than later on.