Tuesday, August 26, 2008

created

The antithesis of the matter.

Treading a thin line between idealism and realism.

My ex-colleague and current lunch buddy Huntley, whom I'm possibly going to write for, always has this encouraging factor in him that makes discussing serious topics over lunch such a breeze.

Because there is money in Corporates, he always urges me to try Marketing or Creative Strategies in Banks like Citi, HSBC, Merril L. While I do suit or can adapt to corporates, Life's a stage after all, I can learn to walk in heels, I can learn to stay cool in power suits, I can learn to talk to directors and haughtily eyeball lowly interns... wait, I've done that before.

Why, why not.
You can imagine that the creative ideas I have that WILL work for the Banks, those ground-breaking, new, unheard of and possibly life-changing ideas, will be passed from board to board and up and down until the idea becomes watered down, withered, having no semblance to the originator's original idea. Although I recently read that 'originality has become the litmus test of strategy', I also know brillant writers who are inadept in social environs. They churn out pieces of sheer genius but seem to be weirded out in other aspects. (Or perhaps we are the ones who are weird.) Or perhaps having no friends manufactures their introspectivity into a higher realm of creative juicing.

So instead of having the bright bold passion to infuse old-school Corporates with new ideas, which will not translate into reality, and will get creative/conceptual types depressed, which will tranlate to us being misunderstood, hurt, critical creatures,

I stick to what I'm good at, a mish-mash of biz and design. I can't do totally biz, primarily because I'd daydream most of the time. I can't do totally design, I hate working indoors, I love meeting The People, The Sun, and Starbucks on Friday afternoons.

When people ask me what do I exactly do, I am at a loss for words, currently saying "In a startup I do everything really", but watching videos online is an important part of my daily routine now. And I'm starting to love it, the previous me who a year ago never could stand anything to do with computers.

Reality bites, but I prefer not to have my hopes and dreams dashed by fat men in suits and ties who only think about money and not much else.