Wednesday, December 10, 2008

When is too much, too much?


Was sick on Sunday. Went out (here,guess where?) on Monday. Fell sick again... now still sick *moans*

photo courtesy of pinkblessings.blogspot.com

Work is getting a bit overboard and being sickly with a maddening cough doesn't help. I've tried not to complain but yesterday I gave in and moaned on the phone to Kie. (actually Lilo said 'moaning' sounded wrong, but well...)

Once again, I remind myself that I'm actually the easy-going type and am not aiming to climb any corporate ladder, so even if the-worse-case scenario happens, i.e. jobless, either by circumstance or by choice, I.shall.take.it.easy.


My beef lagsagna with my new haircut...


New neighbor. I gave him my parsley, an act of noble sacrifice...soon, the rest also gave theirs to him... so this is his appetizer...PS: I think he's a great chap! Younger girls may apply (below 26) I will give you his number!

And my dearest stalwart of fortitude (on the right) PS: He is a great chap too! Around my age and my age girls may apply... easygoing, sweet and nice ladies. You must be able to be friends with me too, if not, you're out. Hahaha!
Actually with the stress levels I'm facing now, I think I will relish it!
I was thinking to myself while shopping for christmas cards (my yearly must-buy item), those retail assistants seem to really enjoy and take ownership of their work-the nice fillipino assistants. I went into Prints to buy a box, and from the time I stepped in to the time I walked out, I was greeted by ALL the staff in such a friendly manner! While shopping (because I am always doing targeted shopping), I generally prefer the assistant to point out what I want to me, state the price, and I will spend about 5-10 minutes max in the store. I was thinking that I actually don't mind being in a 'low-level' job like a waitress, or a shop staff. I'm sure they also have degrees, and they have such pride and joy in their work!

I met Larry today.

Sometimes, in life, you meet people that just leave such a nice impact on you that your mood is somehow uplifted. True enough, though I was coughingly sick, he made me cheer up. Larry is the taxt driver who sent me home. Speaking impeccable English, the old-school type that I'm used to hearing all my father's friends speak, and greeting me 'good evening madam', such a cheery breeze from all the usual rude drivers who don't know the roads... Larry shared that he used to man 300 security personnel until one day he realized that he couldn't go to work with a good attitude and thus, quit. He has only been driving for a month. He told me to be happy wherever I go, that I should just enjoy life, not worry about work. I guess I want to share in that perspective too. Like what Kie and I shared about, there are some people we just love to be around, and some that are just not fun to be around with. Maybe they always seem pensive, so much so that they also steal our joy. Larry shared that he's a single father who got custody of his child (now 16) and he remained single after his divorce 10 years earlier. He seems like a affable, wonderful chap who has such a positive attitude on everything that I can't help but to be refreshed during the ride home, and was almost sorry it had to end so soon.

Seeing so many people each week and month, I began to reflect on whether I had been showcasing a positive attitude too, despite the circumstances. I hope I did, somehow. I've been reflecting on my actions lately, and I seem to have always chosen the easier path - self-gratifying, quitting on myself, and even ending friendships with others because I did not want to face up to reality. I am inspired after reading this book about a couple's true life story -one of their books is the famous 'When God writes your Love story' but I read the 'prequel'- really keeping yourself pure for your future spouse, not just bodily pure, but keeping in mind your thoughts about other guys, about the future, and praying for your husband everyday even though you have not met him yet.

Sometimes I'm too extreme, I just - want to be different, or maybe that's a certain pride in knowing or wanting to be different. Being too free-spirited, I also get bored easily and take for granted many things in life. But in this area, I'm rather traditionalist in my thinking. I want to cook(bake: I haven't learnt how to cook yet) and clean(ironing is therapeutic) for my husband (provided I don't have a high level, stress job), to make cute things with love, and hopefully have the option to stay-at-home when the kids are at the crucial age to bombard them with intense learning flash cards. I just wish that I won't meet him too late, or we won't realize too late that we have each other. Sometimes I feel that time is running out. I am reminded that when I am young I prayed for my husband as all good christian girls were taught too. It's time to pick up where I've left off.

Jelly has shared with me his fears, too. He is of the personality similar to many church guys - stable, solid, godly, 'never been kissed', haha...these guys are of a godly character and serving but somehow it seems they remain single, maybe they have too high expectations or are not able to relate to the fairer species...being 24, graduating soon, and not having a girlfriend before, Jelly is afraid he would just fall into this category, of whom we do know a few in their late 20s. Being friends with a few of them, I know that they do share this concern too... is it too late to find a girl, or find someone whom they will fall in love with and the girl will love them too? I think I shall not underestimate their capacity to love, and I pray that they will have a happy ending...after all, that's what makes a wedding so beautiful and romantic because it is celebrating love between two people who otherwise have nothing in common.

I'm just cheered today after long months of unhappiness because Larry the taxi driver shared with me his positive optimism...I need to be a woman of prayer, reflecting on things when sickly, helps me to be a better person, I think.