Tuesday, June 02, 2009

a guide to dressing well (and looking good in photographs) while overseas


I went to Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, in the start of winter where when it's not too chilly, temperature can be about 15 deg, nice and aircon like - and when it's cold with the foggy weather it can be chilly of 9 deg or less. Being low-fat and always traveling light, here's how to wear stuff so you can pack light and still look good in photos. Oh, and it always helps to have a windbreaker with a light sponge inside. Here, I borrowed one from my friend. Nice road at the 'Little Italy' in Melbourne. I never saw any other roads that looked as nice as this one so when you spot a nice photographic moment, you have to carpe diem!



Day 1:
I bought 2 sweaters for the trip so this is my first one, a raspberry sweater from Nafnaf. I'm quite scared of getting a chill so I wore a undershirt under my black long-top.
These tights are 120 denier, looks classy for night or day and in my opinion, warmer and better looking than jeans. And I added a little black vest from Muji which surprisingly helps to keep warm... I will mix and match these outfits for nice photos as it progresses...



Day 2:
Still wearing the raspberry sweater, went to Philip Island and did a lot of walking so opted for jeans - I did wear thin knee stockings inside to be safe.

Day 3:
Just walking around the bohemian parts of Melbourne and it was not foggy, which means less cold. I wore a black bubble dress underneath the striped sweater and the vest and leggings.

Day 4:
Visited a church and a sunday flea market at St Kilda's beach. in this getup. It's Day 2's top, just that I wore it ,worn under the striped sweater. And leggings, instead of stockings. I bought a scarf from Target because the Daiso one just doesn't cut it.


Day 5:
Stockings with the black bubble dress and raspberry sweater at Ballarat. The white scarf... I love it. Inexpensive and furry and keeps me warm! On windy days it really freezes up your neck especially if you have short hair. Here, in a mock town, 18th century bar which stirs up a saucy pose in me...


Back to jeans for easy walking in a shopping area. Was getting used to the cold so it's just a hooded tee underneath (which came in handy when it started to shower.)

Having studied in design school, I tend to be quite 'tasty' when buying clothes. Shopping is no enjoyable pasttime for me, it's more of like a hawk swooping down on it's prey when it spots a tender, juicy, succulent one... I like bright colors but too often I tend to choose the combi of navy-gray-black that my whole wardrobe looks depressed. I think some people took my one-off comment on dressing well a bit too emotionally. I was just remarking, you could say 'highlighting' the fact that some guys in my midst dress a little too dowdily for the event or occasion they're going for. Maybe they are corporately uptight during work hours (I can wear almost anything I want except when meeting corporates) so they wanna relax after-hours. But I wanted to highlight that dressing dowdily not only catches the attention of the opposite gender in an 'un-tasty' light, it also gives yourself a negative reinforcement. As you would like other people to focus on your good points, therefore. accentuate (not over-emphasize though!) the good points you have through good dressing.

Mr A. always looks spiffy in his dressing (being tall and dark, helps) and I always find it a pleasure to walk beside him, girls tend to be a bit more secure knowing that the guy did make a bit of effort in choosing the clothes to wear. And it needs not be expensive, or glamourous. Just be NICE! (I mean the clothes...) Imagine, if the girl you like always sees you in old, faded, 'homeclothes' style... even though you are young, dashing and suave inside... she will never see it inside! 

(Oooh... I am very excited. Mr A. wants to bring me to places...he said he will bring me to a live band playing near the Sg Flyer area. This week, we are going to a nice sandwich bar in The Office area, take a walk by the Cavenagh bridge, go shopping at uniqlo, and spend one weekend afternoon 'relaxing'. Whee! whee! And he told me he looks forward to my 'bonjour' sms everyday! Muahaha.)

Kinds of dressing (young)girls don't like: boring old polo tees, shorts that show your white-chickeny legs, faded and old shapeless teeshirts that looks as though you have worn it for years, anything that screams 'boring' or 'cannotmakeit'. No "2 by 4" hairstyles too... or those that come right out from the 80s.

Kinds of dressing (young)girls like: shirts are always a crowd pleaser. Loafers. Beige loafers. Shoes in a color other than black. Anything from Zara. Or PullandBear (for me!)
 
Like the white knight in shining armor, your armor has to dazzle her... just that little bit.