Tuesday, February 26, 2008

thinker at work





Interesting photos to think about for more than 5 seconds.
http://thingsihavelearnedinmylife.com/sentence/photography/love-can-make-me-unreasonable

Well. Had quite an interesting day today. 4 meetings. All interesting. Caught up with Rich Dad for the last one, a UK guy with really nice pale blue eyes, and a stunning Texan videographer, and a government association. All in my network. It's actually quite easy for me to call people up and they want to meet me, and it's so easy to get those meetings with them. I call it the favor of God because I honestly have no skill in calling. I'm still not used to being seated at the computer at The New Office, so when I can, I arrange for meetings. Which means my 'paperwork' gets pushed back. The stickynotes app is filled up with things I can't remember wanting to get done, and I have a passport photo of the Texan videographer because I told him I wanted a profile of him (in case I forget about him.)

And I'm typing reports and designing stuff and loving every minute of it.
It's the kind of career I've always wanted just that there isn't a way of getting it unless you know the right people.

And knowing the right God is imperative.

I've realised that I can 'size people up' pretty quickly now that I meet so darn many people in my career.

Not that I do it intentionally.

It's just the thinker, analytical part of me which kicks in and just goes to myself, 'hmmm, he is really a smart person'... or 'hmmm, they really like us...' And being a thinker has its plus points in work, although not dominant thinkers. I was chatting with Dad last night and we agreed that #1: choleric types/dominant people who just like to boss others around, even ministry-wise, have few friends, and their lives are quite sad... presumabably because they have few people who really love them and can tolerate them. #2: In today's knowledge based economy, people are not really hired for their skills (At least for me, I know I can train people to be as good if not better than me) and so, soft skills is just as important if not more, than the ability to get work done. Few would agree but I guess this is the way work works now, and it has worked well for me. I can be quite dominant with my self, at work, to myself, but to others I'm really soft, chatty, easygoing (at least I hope so.)

Thinkers at work also benefit because we don't feel too much, like this is not our cup of tea and thus find it easier to get over the psychological barrier that feelers have, we just do it. There are things I'd prefer to delegate all the time, but I guess the masochistic side of me wants to experience life in its totality, so I challenge myself to meet people I'm not familiar with though I'd rather not, call strangers and chat and try to sell something, though I don't like sales, I just do it. And it turns out not to be a bad thing after all. Because life is meant to be lived in living color and no matter what, I feel that we should be open to new opportunities and challenges daily. That's how we grow, that's how we become better managers, wiser parents, more understanding lovers, and share what we learn with the people we meet along the way.