Sunday, August 03, 2008

embraced

In the confusion, we stay with each other, happy to be together, speaking without uttering a single word. -Walt Whitman.


I have this shirt. Tee Hee!

I realize that the corporate arena which I am 'swimming' in now is quite complex. I do like thinking about and trying to figure out complicated things, but while in 'work mode', would prefer to keep things simple. Doing business with many biz owners of startups and creative agencies, I realised that two things help these people to get more business! Firstly communicating clearly is really important. Having a clear vision or a good idea and being able to 'draw it out' to anyone. Boss is good at that and so are many of the people I've met... 2 thing is likeability. I noticed that those who are likeable in many ways makes you remember them for one, and want to meet them and talk to them and eventually do biz with them! Me and Boss always discuss about the 'new faces' we met and it's kinda uncanny that we can sieve out the schmucks from the stars.

It's tough to navigate the waters at work, sometimes I feel like I am swimming tensely in the open seas. I've been upset lately by a 'Killer Whale' type. Looks friendly but don't really know what the whale is thinking...Maybe you thought he wanted to be your pal but actually he wants to MAKAN you!!! I dislike people like that - they only complicate matters. I guess it affects people who are extremely intelligent. I used to be quite complicated but I don't mess with the minds of others - I hope not, anyways. I guess it upsets me because I'm quite straightforward when it comes to work.

Killer whale, I realized, because of the sneaky ways made me unable to trust him much... although, I still do. I guess I prefer to share with people then to be so guarded that a part of me becomes cynical due to their sneaky ways. Well, after some things that happened which I discovered, I became attuned to the sneakiness which I was oblivious to, before. I think everyone's first reaction would be anger and frustration which I was feeling pretty much for a few days. It was almost like a betrayal of trust which you had innocently gave to this person. Me being me, I would like to confront the Killer Whale immediately and rant "EH WHY DID YOU DO THIS?" 'this is damn underhanded!', etc... Thank God my thinker mode kicked in pretty fast and I thought that would definitely not be a good thing to do, I don't want to and don't like burning bridges with people (although some people did burn theirs with me) also, I do care for this person although he is sneaky. In a sense I would like to see him succeed since we are doing biz together. Also confronting high-ego people, they would not see the cheery side of it and probably lambast me in retaliation. So I decided to observe further and test the waters a little to see if the sneakiness departs.

Had some advice from a work-experienced cell mate who said that if it affected me too badly I should just leave the situation. I guess that's true. But like every dolphin who loves playing and challenges, I think I will take the other route - to keep believing that Killer Whale will stop being sneaky and use more ethical biz tactics to win over people and stay swimming in the long run. Maybe sooner then expected, I will give up if this keeps up. It already 'got to me' so bad that I was reallllllly upset. I met this guy at a biz conference this week who smiled at me so cheerfully, like an old friend from a distant land whom you've just gotten to know, and like, and then he's gone for a long time, and then when you meet again you want to just chat till sundown - yeah man! I had THAT kinda impression from MrCheerful when he just smiled at me and handed me his namecard. Woo. This reminded me not to pull a long face and that there are always clearer waters to swim in from time to time for a work-refreshment. Because someone had the smile power to make my week so much better, I think I believe in being nice again and instead of giving Killer Whale the same sneaky treatment, I will give him smile power. I've been recharged! Woo.

I always tell myself that God intended for me to meet the people I meet (and definitely not to have a fling with them) so I always try to work well and successfully with them, or at least, be NICER. I don't know the reason God put them in my life but there must have been a good one!